Ohio Business Gateway

General Business

How do I expand my business into Ohio?

An out-of-state business getting setup to do business in Ohio can be very similar to starting a business in Ohio. Please see our Starting a Business page and be sure to review the checklist for foreign entities .

How does an out-of-state business setup an Ohio employee?

Review Ohio employer requirements starting on page 13 of Step 1 of our guide to Starting a Business in Ohio .

Also, be sure to review the checklist for foreign entities . Whether having an Ohio employee means you're transacting business in Ohio and thus need to file as a foreign entity or register for CAT tax is not a question the state can advise on — we suggest you contact your attorney for guidance.

How do I close my business?

The Department of Taxation offers information on closing a business.

You should also reach out to:

  • The Secretary of State's Office Business Services Division at (877) 767-6446 / (614) 466-2655 or by email to find out if you need to dissolve your business or cancel your business name.
  • The Office of Unemployment Compensation at (614) 466-2319 for information about closing or transferring your Unemployment Tax account. You can also close your account by filing online at eric.ohio.gov.
  • The Bureau of Worker's Compensation to cancel your policy.

I do not see the business license that I am interested in on the licenses and permits page, does that mean I do not need to have one?

Not necessarily, local and/or federal licenses and permits may also be required.

Be sure to review Step 3 of our guide to Starting a Business to see if a checklist is available for the type of business you want to start. It may provide guidance as to required licensing.

How can I tell if a business is legitimate?

Visit the Secretary of State's website to see if the business is registered to do business in the Ohio. You can also visit the Attorney General's Consumer site to search for complaints against a business.

Where can I learn more about employer labor laws?

For questions about Ohio labor law, contact the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Wage and Hour Administration at (614) 644-2239 or by email at webmaster@wagehour.com.state.oh.us. The Bureau's website can be found here: http://com.ohio.gov/dico/. You can also search for federal labor law and information using usa.gov.

How do I register my business with the State?

The Starting a Business page provides information on how to register your business with the State.


How do I get a withholding number?

Call the Business Taxpayer Assistance hotline at (888) 405-4039, or visit the Department of Taxation's website for Businesses or email the Department.

How do I get a vendor's license?

Learn more about vendor's licenses. For questions, contact the Department of Taxation's Business Taxpayer Assistance hotline at (888) 405-4039 or email the Department.

Doing business with the state

How do I become a Medicaid provider?

Learn about becoming an Ohio Medicaid provider on the Ohio Department of Medicaid's site: