Help Center

What kind of help do you need?

Ohio Business Gateway

Telephone Support

For assistance, call the Gateway Help Desk at 866-OHIO-GOV (866-644-6468) and select the option of the next filing you need to make, even for general questions or help logging in.

The Help Desk is available Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. excluding state holidays.

For TTY/TDD, use the Ohio Relay Service at 800-750-0750.

Agents at any agency can answer most general questions about the Gateway, but the only agents authorized to answer specific questions about transactions or services are the agents at the agency that administers the transaction or service.

Tax questions

For authoritative answers to tax questions, contact the Department of Taxation:

Labor law questions

For questions about Ohio labor law, contact the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Wage and Hour Administration at or 614-644-2239.

For questions about federal labor law, see or contact the United States Department of Labor at 1-866-4-USA-DOL.

Secretary of State business filings questions

Contact the Secretary of State's Business Services Division at 877-SOS-FILE (877-767-3453) option 1 or by email.

General business FAQs

How do I expand my business into Ohio?

The process for an out-of-state business to get set up to do business in Ohio can be very similar to starting a business in Ohio. Please see Starting a Business and be sure to review the checklist for foreign entities .

How does an out-of-state business get started with their first Ohio employee?

Review Ohio employer requirements starting on page 13 of Step 1 of our guide to Starting a Business in Ohio .

Also, be sure to review the checklist for foreign entities . Whether having an Ohio employee means you're transacting business in Ohio and thus need to file as a foreign entity or register for CAT tax is not a question the state can advise on — we suggest you contact your attorney for guidance.

How do I close my business?

The Department of Taxation offers information on closing a business.

You should also reach out to any state agency with which you have filings for guidance -- the most common, contact:

  • The Secretary of State's Office Business Services Division at (877) 767-6446 / (614) 466-2655 or by email to find out if you need to file a dissolution for your business or cancel your business name.
  • The Office of Unemployment Compensation at (614) 466-2319 for information about closing or transferring your Unemployment Tax account. You can also close/transfer your account online at
  • The Bureau of Worker's Compensation to cancel your policy.

I do not see a license for the business I want to start listed on licenses and permits, does that mean I do not need to have one?

Not necessarily, local and/or federal licenses and permits may also be required.

Be sure to review Step 3 of our guide to Starting a Business to see if a checklist is available for the type of business you want to start. It may provide guidance as to required licensing.

Also, businesses are required to register with the Ohio Secretary of State to legally conduct business in the state — this is commonly called a business license. To learn more about legal structure variations and registration, see Step 1 of our guide to Starting a Business.

How can I tell if a business is legitimate?

Visit the Secretary of State's website to see if the business is registered to do business in the Ohio. You can also visit the Attorney General's site to search for complaints against a business.

How do I register my business with the State?

See Starting a Business for information on how to register your business with the State.

How can I learn of new state agency rules that could impact my business?

Sign up for the Regulatory Reform eNotification System to be notified of state agency rule changes that could impact your business.

How to find information and services on